History of Lake Fenton Schools
The Lake Fenton Community School District was created through the consolidation of six one-room districts. The consolidation process began in 1922. The Long Lake School was a part of the consolidation and was located at the site of the present high school building. Several attempts have been made to consolidate the district with surrounding school districts, but these efforts have failed. The citizens of the Lake Fenton Community School District would like to keep their own identity and sense of community growing strong along with the school district.
The symbol of the Lake Fenton Community Schools is the anchor which sits in front of the old high school to remind us of our links to the history of this area. This anchor was first used on a steamboat called the "Evening Star" owned by W. H. Bennett in 1874. This boat was left to rot on the dock and eventually sank to the bottom of the lake. In the 1920's a gentleman named R. G. Moffet dragged it out of the lake and brought up the old anchor. In a round-about way it ended up in front of the school and has been the symbol of the school district for over thirty five years and is still anchoring us to our past.